We recommend the following procedure if you want to publish an article in a (Open Access)Journal or hand a paper/ presentation to a conference :
select the appropriate journal or conference
i. quality of journal/ conference
Please check which journal or conference is suitable for you. The journal where yoou want to submit should be indexed in Scopus (check Scopus sources) or PubMed (check PubMED and activate/ filter "indexed in Medline"). That ensures that your publication is integrated automatically in HZI Publications database.
Please check via quality criteria of "Think.Check.Submit" (journal quality) resp. "Think.Check.Attend" (conference quality) or checklist "Clues to Quality of Journals" if a journal or conference is high-quality and not a predatory journal/ predatory conference.
To prevent predatory publishing the HZI Publication Rules (see Intranet-page "Ihre Publizier-Vorgehensweise/your publishing approach") now also contain the Supplement Key-criteria to check the quality of scientific journals and HZI Library is also checking the place of publication of scientific material sent to papers@...
Details on page "Predatory Publishers" (Intranet)
You can look for the journal's impact factor via the journal's provider (e.g. BioMed Central) or via Journal Citation Report. Currently, specific methods for measuring the impact factor, so-called "Alt-metrics", are also being developed for Open Access journals (see "ImpactFactor and additional information", 9.Mai 2014).
The different ways of publishing are shown in this picture (published as CC):
ii. type of financing
Beside checking if quality assurance methods (peer review etc.) are undertaken check also the type of financing: golden way, green way, hybrid journal etc. (see infographic above: ways of publishing). During searching for a suitable journal the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) is a helpful tool.
If you are not sure wether to publish in an Open Access-journal please keep in mind that recent studies have shown that the impact of OA articles is significantly higher than that of limited-access articles.
Please choose -if available - CreativeCommons-Lizenz CC-BY e.g. due to user-friendly usage rights, PlanS-compliance etc., see u.a.:
Benefits of Open Access Publishing:
- key benefit for authors: it could increase the reach of your research while the article's copyright * is retained by you - which is proven by several studies e.g. Swan see "The Rise of Open Access" - in terms of visibility and/ or higher impact
- public interest: citizens and each interested person should have access to publicly funded research, check funder compliance and their requirements regarding OpenAccess, archiving etc. via SherpaJuliet (publications as well as the underlying research data e.g. via CreativeCommons), there is also the trend to engage the general public to enrich scientific research with their observations/ data ("Citizen Science")
- Equity: a) within the institutions: departments at institutions with smaller budgets should not be penalized, b) internationally: high cost of journal access particularly disadvantages third world countries
- expand the usage of modern web technologies (incl. reduced costs via eliminating "legacy" publishing requirements such as printing and subscription management)
summed up also in Science's recent artilce "Open access takes a flight" (J. Brainard), Vol. 371, iss. 6524
* If you don't publish your paper in Gold OpenAccess
iii. second postprint publication allowed and required by funder?
a) Please check via SHERPA/RoMEO if the journal in which you want to publish allows a postprint publication (e.g. in HZI Repository). Details on the legal aspect can be found in the FAQs about the so-called Zweitveröffentlichungsrecht / ZVR (UrhG § 38 Abs. 4) published by the focus initiative "Digitale Information".
b) Check also funder compliance and their requirements regarding OpenAccess, archiving etc. via SherpaJuliet
After the internal check (see Intranet-page "Ihre Publizier-Vorgehensweise/your publishing approach") submit your publication to the journal of your choice. Please indicate in case of an institutional membership with one of the OA-publishers mentioned at page OpenAccess, section "HZI and OpenAccess" as member institution "Helmholtz..."/ HZI (also when you as the submitting author are working at an affiliated institute e.g. HIRI, HIPS etc.).
Let your article be available in HZI OpenRepository
When your article is published, please ensure the long-term archiving of your research results and findings and thus enable the re-use of it via institutional repository HZI Repository. The HZI Repository and the HZI publication database are run as full service units for scientists of HZI, (HIPS) and Twincore and the Studienzentrum Hannover: the HZI Library takes custody of adding and enriching - you as a scientist need only to send the submitted manuscript (see Policy).
Send publication invoice (PDF) to the library for invoice processing
OpenAccess publication costs can be covered under certain conditions (see page "OpenAccess", HZI and OpenAccess (OA) and OpenAccess Publishing Funds).
Our Open Access Publications Fund allows you -as submitting author - to publish your research without being charged for it
- unless the publication(s) can be settled through funding
Send your article Publication invoice to the library
NOT paid through the Library's OpenAccess Publishing Fund are:
- Article Fees of Articles in Predatory Journals or Hybrid journals* &
- Publications for which no HZI scientist is the submitting author (these costs would then have to be taken over by the institution of the submitting authors
*Please note: in DEAL-contracts the so-called hybrid model in Wiley-DEAL and SpringerNature-DEAL are full OpenAccess-articles and those fees are covered thus there are no additional fees for OpenAccess there, so please always vote the OpenAccess-option as default there! see also DEAL explained: A-Z, our page Open Access in Wiley and DEAL-FAQ for authors (Will the publisher charge open access publication fees to authors?)
All publication invoices can be sent to HZI Library for processing the invoice. For publications that were not published as OpenAccess, we need your cost centre in addition to the publication invoice as PDF.
The benefits of adding your publications to the repository is explained in this video-Teaser:
Please also have a look at the following pages in the section OpenAccess :
If you have questions regarding publishing and OpenAccess or if you need additional support please do not hesitate to contact us.
(last update: 2. Sept. 2022)